Episode 13 + 14: Youtube Comedian, Don’t Jealous Me
This week, I’m joined by comedian Tolulope Ogunmefun AKA Don’t Jealous Me of the infamous Nigerian Youtube comedy sketches. Tolu has amassed over 41 million views on his channel and recently released his first children’s book ‘The Frog and His Dancing Shoes’.
- Rebranding when you are known for one thing and have more to offer.
- Dealing with online controversy.
- Writing and publishing a book in 4 weeks.Allowing your purpose to find you and following opportunities you love.
- Knowing when to let go of the path that’s not the right fit for you.
- How focusing on just one simple thing can be the key to your success.
In this week’s episodes, Tolu and I come together to discuss what he’s been up to in the last few years. In episode 13 we talk about the difficulties he’s had in the past few years trying to catch his big break as an actor. We discuss how challenging it was to keep producing the content when it wasn’t as fun.
Tolu has gone on to be cast in Meet the Adebanjos, Sick Note on Sky1 and most recently Man Like Mobeen on the BBC. He credits a lot of his success to hard work but also to his incredibly active manager Andrew. We talk about reaching the point in your career where you might need a manager or an agent and how to find a good one. What’s refreshing about these episodes is that Tolu is very honest about his start in comedy and that stand up still makes him pause before diving in. We talk about the impact of bad advice and why certain unwarranted advice or criticism sticks with you.