Episode 53 & 54: DJ Nikki Beatnik
This week’s guest is DJ Nikki Beatnik, a DJ and record producer. Nikki has spun in over 60 countries and has served as Kelis’ official tour DJ for the best part of a decade. She won Best DJ at the UMA’s and was dubbed a “multi-faceted icon” by Reebok. Nikki has DJ’d parties for everyone, from Jay Z to the The British Fashion Award.
- Banish the guilt of being a working mum by eliminating one thing.
- Ridiculously simple ways to care more without putting too much pressure on yourself
- How to get started in DJ’ing
- How tech developments are affecting DJ pay rates
- How to get your dream job when there’s no clear cut path
- Find out exactly how long you should practice before booking your first gig.
- Tips for workplaces to do better by working mums
- Why you might not want to ever meet your idols
In episode #53, DJ Nikki explains what its like to be a self-employed working mum. You’ll learn the ups and the downs, how being a mum affects your pay, and how workplaces modern workplaces can improve their treatment of mothers. Naturally, we also go off a tangent and chat about the royal family, environmentalism and other topics.
Episode #54 is just as good. Nikki describes her quiet upbringing in the Scottish Highlands – a period of her life where she studied classical music and yearned to be an opera singer. Nikki is a great example of someone who has carved their own career path – listen and learn how she went from a fine art degree, to teaching herself how to DJ, to touring with Kelis. Nikki also gives a warts-and-all insight the DJ industry. Brace yourself.