Bonus: Film Director, Ava DuVernay
This bonus episode features an inspiration, a trailblazer, my dream podcast guest. I had the honour of sitting down with Director Ava DuVernay, and there’s a real possibility I’ll never get over this. Ava has racked up film accolades – two Oscars and four Golden Globe nominations, four Emmy awards, a Peabody award and a BAFTA. Her work includes Selma, 13th, Jay-Z’s Family Feud video and, of course, 2018’s A Wrinkle In Time. The Disney produced fantasy film in out in cinema’s now.
- How you can use your creativity to speak to minorities
- How great collaborators can lead you to success
- The importance of doing something creative everyday
- Why you shouldn’t take creativity for granted
- Why perfection is a myth
- Why it’s never too late to pursue a craft
In an exclusive roundtable, Ava shares her wisdom on creativity and inclusion. The episode bursts with philosophies and actions – you’ll learn how to flex your creative muscles, use creativity to inspire change, and find the best collaborators along the way. Ava also opens up about her biggest flaw (something I think many of us struggle with). She also talks about what she’s doing to improve this issue.
I talk about how Ava’s tips apply to me, a young creative black woman, and how they could relate to you. Ava’s episode is like a three course meal for creatives – dig in!
- Ava’s editor – Spencer Averick
- Follow Ava on Twitter and Instagram
- Explore Array – Ava’s film distribution collective