Marketing Your Podcast: Social Media
There are plenty of ways for people to discover your podcast, from word of mouth and the podcast platforms themselves to YouTube. But, of course, one of the most powerful ways to reach the masses and boost visibility is through social media. Although you’re a creator, social media can quickly become overwhelming, with so many platforms, tools, and tips in every direction. That’s where we come in. This article shares some of our tried and tested tips to promote your podcast on social media.
Social media marketing hacks for podcasters
This is by no means an extensive list of hacks, but it will get you off to a good start. So, let’s get into it.
1. Choose your platforms wisely
There’s no need to be on every single social platform. Instead, choose the platforms that your audience actually uses. If you’re not sure where that is, ask them. Now, it’s likely that your audience is on several platforms, so it comes down to selecting platforms you can commit to. It’s better to do one or two platforms well than do four poorly.
2. Add value with every post
There’s a whole lot of noise on social media. Ensuring you’re adding value with every post will help you to cut through the noise and build an engaged community. Remember, adding value can be as simple as making your audience laugh. So, if it’s relevant and you think it will resonate with your audience, give it a go. No one gets it right every time, but you need to be prepared to continually test different content to discover what works.
3. Leverage your guest’s audience
If you’re trying to build up a following on social media, be sure to leverage your guest’s audience. But don’t expect your guest to do the hard work for you. Instead, provide plenty of assets, including imagery, suggested copy and social handles, so they can help you to promote their episode.
4. Format content specifically for the platform
Yes, social media is time-consuming. But, no, that isn’t an excuse to post the exact same content across your channels. While you should always repurpose content, take a little extra time to format your content specifically to the channel, you’ll be posting it on. Always remember, if you’re using social media as a discovery tool, you want to make a great first impression.
Types of content you can use to promote your podcast
Once you’ve chosen your platforms, the next thing to think about is your content strategy. Using many different formats is a great way to keep your audience engaged. Variety is the spice of life, After all. So, here are just some ideas for content:
- Guest announcements
- Quotes and questions
- Short-form video – if your podcast is audio only, use an audiogram!
- BTS (behind the scenes) content
- Archive footage
Top tip: don’t forget to appeal to your audiences’ broader interests and avoid purely promoting your podcast in every post.
Three golden rules for social media marketing
Social media is ever-changing; sometimes, keeping up with those changes feels impossible. However, regardless of the platform, here are three golden rules you should always follow.
- Consistency is key: when you’re creating a content strategy, opt for a posting schedule that is manageable for you. It’s better to post consistently once a week than sporadically without a plan.
- Quality over quantity: with consistency comes quality. Spend time creating quality content that will engage your audience rather than scrambling to post for the sake of posting.
- Don’t post and ghost: building an engaged community goes far beyond posting. Instead, you must show up on your chosen platforms and regularly engage with your audience and other creators.
If you’re looking for some inspiration from fellow creators, check out these Instagram accounts:
- @scenesofbeauty_ is great for BTS reels and has lots of tips and advice.
- @yourauntiescouldnever does video & YouTube really well.
- @soulsutras shares excellent BTS and educational content.
- @survivingsocietypod nails guest spotlighting.
- @tindallpodcasts is a fab example of captioned video episode teasers.
To access our inclusive community of podcasters and the resources you need to grow your podcast, check out our membership options here.